A $1.63 billion contract was granted to John Holland, CPB Contractors (CPB) and Ghella JV (JCG JV) for providing the last step of tunnelling on the mega Sydney Metro West project.
This phase is the third and final significant tunnelling package granted on this project and is the last piece in the tunnelling puzzle to construct the 24-kilometre metro rail tunnels from Westmead to the Sydney CBD.
The Eastern Tunnelling contract comprises:
- 3.5-kilometre tunnels from The Bays to the Sydney CBD
- A TBM launch site at The Bays with two tunnel boring machines launched towards Hunter Street
- A turnback cavern to the east of the new Hunter Street Station, enabling trains to turn around before travelling back towards Parramatta
- Excavation and civil works for two new cavern stations at Pyrmont and Hunter Street in Sydney CBD
- And over 8,000 segments to line the tunnels
Preparations for tunnelling on this last section of the line are said to begin next year, with 2023 gearing up to be the year of tunnelling for Sydney Metro West. Work is already underway to schedule the construction of the twin tunnels between The Bays and Sydney Olympic Park and between Sydney Olympic Park and Westmead. As anticipated, the TBMs will begin their work in early 2023.
Sydney Metro West will generate over 10,000 direct new jobs and 70,000 indirect jobs. A broad range of skills comprising tunnellers, electricians, plumbers, carpenters, concrete workers, truck drivers, laborers and security guards are required to construct these tunnels.