A Vinci Construction subsidiary based in Australia, Seymour Whyte, has been chosen for the US$90 million (AUD$125 million) design and construct upgrade contract for the Port Rail Transformation Project at the Port of Melbourne.
This ECI (early contractor involvement) project is going to enable more containers to be transported by rail, by-passing roads in inner Melbourne. In addition to boosting the current terminal capacity, it contains a new rail terminal construction.
Port Rail Transformation Project timeline
Works will be done from October 2021 to 2023.
- As part of the programs, Seymour Whyte will also implement environmental initiatives, comprising:
- a water treatment system to treat contaminated ground water
- all asphalt and concrete being recycled
- assessment of the reuse of about 33,000m³ of soil on-site to decrease the amount of new material used on-site
- demolition works expected to achieve an 80%+ recycle rate